Information about Epiphany of our Lord Parish
Epiphany of our Lord Parish
The Epiphany of Our Lord Parish is situated in Lingayen, Pangasinan. The church stands near the town market. formerly known as Three Kings Parish Church, it is a co-cathedral of the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Lingayen-Dagupan. It’s one of the best structures and one of the oldest Catholic churches in the province of Pangasinan.
The church was founded in 1587, the same year as San Carlos City’s Saint Dominic de Guzman Parish Church. In 1616, the parish was established and was named Los Tres Reyes or The Three Kings by the Augustinian Spanish missionaries. It was turned over to the Dominicans in 1740. Come 1900 to 1933, Filipino priests took care of the parish until the Columban missionaries arrived in the province.
In 1945, during World War II, American forces dropped bombs in Poblacion bringing great damage to the church. It caused the fall of centuries-old bells. It was later replaced with new ones with the help of donations from civic-spirited citizens. The restored church reopened in 1965, but was damaged by an earthquake in 1990 and repaired once again. The parish earned the name “Epiphany of Our Lord Parish” during the term of the first Team Ministry of the parish with Rev. Fr. John Palinar as the moderator.
The massive church is made of mudbrick. It has architectural influences during the Spanish Colonial Period. The church’s dome was designed by Fr. Miguel Aparicio. The interiors of the establishment display pieces of religious art in wood and metal materials.
Presently, a replica of the original retablo is showcased inside the church. There’s also a couple of massive tower bells from the 1800s, which fell during the American bombardment, are displayed outside. The church’s bell tower stands 45 yards tall, which makes it one of the best and well-preserved in Pangasinan.
How to get there
Take a bus in Manila bound for Lingayen, Pangasinan. Once there, you can ride a tricycle and tell the driver to drop you off at the church. There are also guided tours in Pangasinan that highlight this religious site.
Best time to visit
This is an all-year-round site open to the public daily.