Information about Lily Hill
Camouflaged by the trees in the Clark Freeport zone is a place called Lily hill. This interesting little hill is the highest point in Clark, about four hundred meters in diameter and approximately thirty-two meters high. It was used as an important defensive location for the last Japanese troops during the second world war. Lily Hill got its name from what the Aetas called Americans “Lili", which means "Lost" in Kapampangan.
From the the highway, the tiny street leading to the hill seems like a pretty normal sight. But once you enter, sitting on the gentle slope of Lily Hill is a Buddhist shrine with a large 5-ton granite statue of Kannon or Guanyin, East Asian Buddhists’ Goddess of Peace and Mercy. this shrine is rightfully called the "Goddess of Peace Shrine.” The statue, which was molded in China and shipped to the Philippines in 2000, was commissioned by Ekan Ikeguchi, the abbot of the Saifukuji Temple in Japan.
Lily Hill was a significant place in the history of the world war II, it was the birthplace of the Japanese Kamikaze, in Japanese, the word means divine wind. But during the war, this was the name of a group of pilots who made deliberate suicidal crashes into enemy targets, usually allied ships in the Pacific between 1944 and 1945. The term also denotes the aircraft used in such attacks. Lily hill also provided the Japanese army with a good vantage point of the airfield. It also was the main command-post of the Japanese Imperial Army and the Navy's Kempu Group, which delayed the advancement American liberation forces for a week in January of 1945. Today Lily Hill is covered with lush trees and bushes quite a serene place great for a pilgrimage or a small hike.