Information about Loboc Church
Loboc Church or the Church of San Pedro is the second oldest church in the province of Bohol, having been established by the Jesuits as a parish after the town of Baclayon.
Geology and History
Loboc Church is one of the more well-known heritage churches in Bohol, a province where there’s a high concentration of churches built during the Spanish colonial period.
It has received several recognitions to its name, including being listed as a National Historical Landmark by the National Historical Commission of the Philippines as well as a National Cultural Treasure by the National Museum of the Philippines because of the integrity and authenticity of the church’s structure. This means the structure was able to keep its appearance through time, with the original materials used to build it still intact.
It was founded in 1596 but officially became a parish in 1602. The very first church was built with wood by people from the community and was dedicated under the patronage of Saint Michael the Archangel. The parish became the center of the Jesuits’ mission with its strategic location near the river and with the coastal town of Baclayon having been attacked by pirates. After the expulsion of the Jesuits in May 1968, the Order of the Augustinian Recollects took over the management of the Loboc Church and its parish.
As such, the façade of the church comes in two distinct styles: one features Jesuit-built Baroque façade adorned with unfinished medallions of saints, while the other features a Neoclassical portico built by the Recollects.
Currently, it’s undergoing restoration after a magnitude 7.2 earthquake hit Bohol and nearby provinces in Central Visayas October 2013. The church suffered major structural damage especially on its façade, middle section, and belfry, which was located about 100 meters from the church.
Loboc Church is located about 21 kilometers east of Tagbilaran.