San Fernando Railway Station
San Fernando City station is a defunct railway station of the Philippine National Railways (PNR) Northrail line. Located in San Fernando City, Pampanga, the old PNR train station was once used to transport Filipino and American prisoners of war during the Bataan death march in 1942.
San Fernando City is a first-class municipality in the province of Pampanga. It is the provincial capital and also the seat of government in Central Luzon. Located 67 kilometers north of Manila and 17 kilometers south of Clark Air Base in Angeles City.
The old PNR station is located in Barangay Sto. Niño, San Fernando Pampanga, near the Pampanga Provincial Capitol.
The San Fernando Railway Station is the first railway system in the Philippines. Built in 1892, it was part of the Ferrocarril de Manila-Dagupan, spanning 195 kilometers from Tutuban in manila to Dagupan in Pangasinan. It was inaugurated by Governor-General Eulogio Despujol and Bernardino Nozaleda, the Archbishop of Manila, on February 23, 1892.
This old PNR station is part of the National Historical Institute (NHI) site, and is one of the five stations found in Pampanga. The other four stations are located in Mabalacat City, Sto. Tomas, and Angeles City.
On June 27 1892, Dr. Jose Rizal disembarked at this station to meet the new members of La Liga Filipina from Pampanga. After 50 years, on April 1942, this place became the final stop of the 102-kilometer death march of Filipino and American prisoners of war from Bataan, before being transferred to their last destination, Camp O’Donnell in Capas, Tarlac.
The operations of the train system ended in 1988. Today, the structure serves as a museum and historical landmark.
What to See and Do
Aside from the San Fernando Train Station, other sites to visit in the capital city of Pampanga are Sky Ranch, Pampanga, Betis Church, the Pampanga Provincial Capitol and Villa Alfredo’s.