Information about Plaza de Roma
Plaza de Roma
Plaza de Roma is one of the two major public squares located in Intramuros, Manila. It is also popularly known by the name of Plaza Roma.
The said plaza is considered to be the center of Intramuros. Its boundaries consist of the Andres Soriano Avenue which was formerly known as Calle Aduana to the north; Cabildo Street to the east, Santo Tomas Street to the south, and General Antonio Luna Street which was formerly called Calle Real del Palacio, to the west.
Plaza de Roma also served as the Plaza Mayor during the Spanish colonial era. It was then considered the center of the city where bullfights and other public events were held until Governor- General Rafael Maria de Aguilar converted the plaza into a garden in the year 1797. During this time, it was also referred to by the name of Plaza de Armas.
At the start of the American rule in 1901, the plaza was renamed to Plaza McKinley, after the president of the United States of America, William McKinley. He authorized the colonization of the Philippines by the United States.
Unlike Plaza Miranda and Plaza Moriones, the garden configuration of the Plaza de Roma no longer functions as a public square.
How to get there
Plaza de Roma is located inside Intramuros. If you are going to Intramuros, just take the train or jeepney there. In LRT-1, get off the train at the main terminal station and walk five minutes to Manila City Hall. Then walk down to the pedestrian underpass that takes you under Padre de Burgos Street. Ride a tricycle going to Plaza de Roma.
Best time to visit
It can be visited during the daily opening hours of Intramuros, which is daily from 8 AM to 11 PM.
What is the origin of the name Plaza de Roma?
College of Cardinals of the Roman Catholic Church as the first Filipino Cardinal. In recognition of this, Rome also named one of its squares as Piazzale Manila.
What are some of the nearby tourist spots in Plaza de Roma?
important landmarks of Intramuros. These are the Manila Cathedral (originally known as the “Church of Manila”) to the south, the Palacio del Gobernador (former residence of the Governor-General) to the west, and the Ayuntamiento de Manila, which is also known as the Casas Consistoriales (nicknamed as the Marble Palace), to the East.