Information about Emilio Aguinaldo Museum
Emilio Aguinaldo Museum
Photo by the Emilio Aguinaldo Museum
Aguinaldo Museum is a museum owned and managed by the descendants of former Philippine President Emilio Aguinaldo. Located in Baguio City, it houses the first-ever Philippine flag. A daughter of former President Aguinaldo built the museum in1985 the City of Pines to serve as a shelter for the first Philippine flag that was hoisted and waved by General Aguinaldo himself in Kawit, Cavite on June 12, 1898.
Twenty-six years later, the grandchildren of Cristina Aguinaldo-Suntay, daughter of former president Aguinald, agreed to turn the facility into an interactive museum. It is now a tribute to the revolutionaries of different eras who had taken a significant role in fighting for the country’s independence. According to Emilio Aguinaldo Mendoza Suntay III, the great-grandson of Cristina, if the people couldn’t come to the flag, then at least they can bring it closer to the people. He added that Baguio is a perfect place to preserve the flag as the weather is much cooler than in Manila City.
Aside from the flag, there is also a life-size papier-mâché statue of Andres Bonifacio, the founder of the Katipunan and Aguinaldo’s opponent for the leadership of the Philippine Revolution. It is placed in a gallery of heroes at an indoor balcony. Also, statues of national heroes such as Jose Rizal, Antonio Luna, Emilio Jacinto, Apolinario Mabini, and Gregorio del Pilar are in the gallery, and a life-size statue of Gabriela Silang is set to be displayed there as well.
Best time to visit
The museum is open from Tuesdays to Sundays from 10 AM to 12 NN and 1 PM to 5 PM.