Information about Barn Houses
These large old-style and wooden houses, now popularly known as Barn Houses, were built between 1903-1904 by the U.S. Military to serve as quarters for officers. The houses, seventeen in total, can be found along Cardinal Rufino Santos Avenue (formerly known as Officers Row) in Clark, Pampanga.
The houses particularly follow a tropical architecture style and were all built out of Oregon Pine, shipped to the Philippines from the United States. The construction style allowed for cool air to pass under the raised floors and through the wide verandas, which worked best for the country’s tropical climate. These houses were the first permanent structures built inside Fort Stotsenburg in Clark.
Several huge acacia trees were also planted lining along the barn houses, providing shade during hot days in the site.
Officials of the Clark Development Corporation (CDC) are in the pursuit of preserving the area to become a cultural district inside Clark Freeport. They are planning to ask the National Historical Commission to recognize the barn houses as a Heritage Site.
Hundreds of these houses were built until the 1920s but pests, weather conditions, and humidity have worn them down and most have been demolished in the 1980s.
Other Attractions Nearby
The Clark Freeport Zone is home to other attractions, mostly related to the military activities that took place here originally being a U.S. military air base. Other sites that can be visited aside from the Barn Houses include the Fort Stotsenburg Gate Posts, Old Kelly Theater, and the Old Cannon.