Information about Cebu Provincial Capitol
Cebu Provincial Capitol
The Cebu Provincial Capitol is a national landmark and considered as one of the oldest and
most attractive structures in the Philippines. It has been the seat of the provincial government of
Cebu since it was built in 1937. Located at the north end of Osmeña Boulevard, the building has
also become a tourist attraction for both local and foreign tourists.
The planning for the establishment of Cebu Provincial Capitol started in 1910 during the
inauguration of Osmeña Waterworks but the construction commenced in 1937 during the term
of Governor Sotero Cabahug. The construction of the building was then completed in 1938.
During the World War II, the capitol sustained some damages but was immediately restored
after the war has ended through the Tydings War Damage Act of 1946.
In recognition of its beauty and of its rich part in the history of Cebu as well as the country, the
Cebu Provincial Capitol was declared as a National Historical Landmark.
The Cebu Provincial Capitol was designed by Architect Juan Marcos Arellano, a famous Filipino
architect who also designed other famous buildings like Manila Metropolitan Theatre, National
Museum of the Philippines, and Manila Central Post Office Building. It was patterned after the
U.S. Capitol, which is based on 15th Century Renaissance-era Italian architecture that features
symmetrical composition, columns, and arches. The neo-classical design and white paint of the
building makes it stick out in the area.
At the facade of the building, an inscription on the central concave reads, “The authority of the
government emanates from the people. Erected A.D. MCMXXXVII.”
There is a tall flagpole located in front of the structure. On the right side stands a statue of
Sergio Osmeña while a statue of Lapu-Lapu stands on the left side.
The Cebu Provincial Capitol houses the Office of the Provincial Governor, among other
government offices such as the courts and other judiciary offices. On the second floor is the
Dignitaries Hall, the Gallery, the Social Hall, and several executive offices. The Gallery contains
mementos from past provincial administrations for public viewing.