Information about Iloilo City Hall
Iloilo City Hall
Iloilo City Hall plays an important part in the development of Iloilo. The building's design was envisioned in 1908, when Rosauro Jocson of Arevalo was the Mayor of Iloilo. This did not come to fruition, however, until Vice President Pablo Nava submitted a plan to the Municipal Council on December 27, 1928. Juliana Melliza, a philanthropist and well-to-do Molo landowner, donated 10.8 hectares as the construction site on February 28, 1929.
According to the July 10, 1934 issue of the local newspaper "Ang Makinaugalingon," the City Hall was recognized as the largest building in Visayas and Mindanao during the Commonwealth Era. It was inaugurated with great fanfare in December 1936, as Iloilo was elevated from a municipality to a district. In 1937, Mayor Ramon Campos was the first city official to occupy this building.
The entire structure was characterized by neo-classical features, including uniformly arched windows, high ceilings, a dome, and extensive patio furniture. Tropical and nativist elements reminiscent of the Filipino "bahay na bato" were also visible, including large sliding main door windows, ventanillas, and elevated wooden floors. The stylized sculptures at the entry, as well as the decorated walls and chandeliers, show strong Art Deco influences.
How to get there
A flight is the most convenient way to get to Iloilo City. Once there, ride a jeepney going to Iloilo City.
Best time to visit
You can visit this cultural site anytime of day.