The Immaculate Conception Cathedral is a religious and historical landmark in the province of Palawan. The Spanish-era church is located across the historic Plaza Cuartel in Barangay Liwanag, Puerto Princesa City. The cathedral is a solemn destination where one can meditate and find solace. It is home to Puerto Princesa City’s large Roman Catholic population. Travellers who are exploring Puerto Princesa can stop over and say their prayers.
It is not only a religious structure but historical as well because the first mass in Puerto Princesa was celebrated in the same place where the cathedral now stands on March 10, 1872—six days after the Spaniards arrived in the city. Fr. Ezequiel Moreno of the Augustinian Recollect order held the very first mass here using a box of supplies.
A parish under the patronage of Our Lady of the Immaculate Conception was also constructed in the same year during the time of Fr. Gregorio Espiga y Infante, also an Augustinian Recollect. Nearly a century since it was built as a small church, it was reconstructed in 1961 to its current structure of a cathedral. Despite changes made when it was reconstructed, its edifice was preserved.
Immaculate Conception Cathedral became a seat of apostolic vicariate in 1955. As one of the seven apostolic vicariates in the Philippines, it is not part of the ecclesiastical province because it is directly subject to the Holy See.
The Immaculate Conception Cathedral is well known for its interesting angular structure. Its structure is reminiscent of Gothic churches built in Medieval Europe, departing from the conventional architecture of most churches in the Philippines.
Located in Rizal Ave. in Palawan, the best way to get here is by riding a tricycle or jeepney from Puerto Princesa City proper.
This is an all-year round destination which can be visited anytime. Masses are held daily at 5 a.m. and 5:30 p.m.