Information about San Fernando Cathedral
San Fernando Cathedral
Photo by Metropolitan Cathedral of San Fernando
The Metropolitan Cathedral of San Fernando, also previously called as the Cathedral of Our Lady of the Assumption, is a neo-classical church in San Fernando City, Pampanga. It is the seat of the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of the city.
The church dates back to the 1750s, when it was initially built using wood and thatch under the patronage of San Fernando III, King of Castille. However, the structure was eventually renovated in the 1780s when secular priests took over under the leadership of one Manuel Canlas. Unfortunately, the church was destroyed by fire twice: first was during the Philippine Revolution Army on May 1899 and the second was in 1939. It was restored by the Architect Fernando H. Ocampo in 1948 and was canonically erected on June 25, 1975.
After surviving two fires, it was rebuilt with a neo-classical design. The cathedral stands tall with its big dome and a looming structure of white, beige, gray and maroon, with faux columns.
The San Fernando Cathedral has bore witness to many historical events in San Fernando, Pampanga. Today, the National Museum of the Philippines has declared the Cathedral as an “important cultural property”. Its cultural impact, exemplary aesthetics, architecture and history made the cathedral an important historical landmark in the city of San Fernando.