COVID-19 information & support
All the best experiences
24/7 customer support
Verified quality services
Filipino Travel Experts

Information about San Isidro Labrador Church

4.5
292 Google reviews
Type
Religious Sites
Location
San Isidro Labrador Church, Lazi, Siquijor, Philippines
Distance From City Center
80 m
Family Friendly
Yes
Established date
1749
Average rating
4.5
Number of reviews
292

The San Isidro Labrador Parish Church, commonly referred to as Pulilan Church, is a 19th-century Baroque church located at Brgy. Poblacion, Pulilan, Bulacan, Philippines. The parish church, dedicated to Saint Isidore, the Laborer, is under the Roman Catholic Diocese of Malolos. The church is popular for being the site where water buffalos are made to kneel as tribute to the feast day of the patron saint. Like the Saint Augustine Parish from the nearby town of Baliuag, the church is also known for featuring one of the longest Holy Week Processions with at least 110 floats.

History

Pulilan, known before as barrio San Isidro or Buenavista, is a former barrio and parochial catchment of Quingua before it separated into a town with its own parish. Several sources provide varied claims as to the beginnings of the town and parish. One of such sources tells that the town was founded in 1749 under the advocation of San Isidro and was subsequently named Pulilan in 1850 by Father Ignacio Manzanares of Hagonoy in 1871. Likewise, Father Simon Barroso called the town San Isidro de Pulilan in 1873. The parish of Pulilan was declared as independent some time in 1780 to 1785 according to Father Martinez de Zuñiga, although it was not indicated in the report to the Augustinian Province in the Philippines in 1760.

Architecture

Parochial structures of light materials were said to have been built immediately after the erection of the parish. In 1826, Father Juan Rico started the construction of a new church. One record tells that the church is still under construction in 1829 as it says all churches in Bulacan are already made of masonry except for the church of Pulilan which was still under construction. Two earthquakes, on June 3, 1863 and 1880, damaged the church greatly. Father Miguel de Celis rebuilt the church a few years later.The façade of the church is predominantly neo-classical and is devoid of heavily detailed ornamentation. Rectangular pilasters divide the façade into three vertical sections capped off by a triangular pediment. The façade is punctured by rectangular openings: three rectangular windows and one canopied rectangular main portal. Only the Augustinian emblem on the pediment, motifs on the cornice and the balustrade on the belfry break the monotony of design. The plastered façade contrasts greatly with the bare stone walls on the side and interior of the church. To the right of the church is the three-tiered bell tower, with the top level done in concrete.

Pulilan Carabao Festival

During the 14th and 15 May every year, Pulilan holds the Kneeling Carabao Festival as tribute to their patron saint. Farm animals especially carabaos or water buffalos are paraded in front of the church. The highlight of the fiesta is the genuflection or kneeling of the carabaos with its two front legs in front of the church as sign of reverence to Saint Isidore.

Content is taken from Wikipedia