Information about San Jose de Obrero Church
San Jose de Obrero Church
The San Jose de Obrero Church, popularly known as the Ivana Church, is a Roman Catholic church dedicated to Saint Joseph in Ivana, Batanes. It is under the authority of the Batanes Prelature. In 2008, the National Historical Commission of the Philippines designated the church as a National Historical Landmark.
The church was built to serve the residents of Ivana, Sabtang, and Uyugan. Sabtang people had been forcefully moved in Ivana but were eventually permitted to return to their home island, diminishing the congregation's number. In 1854, the church's façade was completed with the nave's shortening. The rear half of the church was closed when the population dwindled in the 1840s owing to the return of the Isabtang to Sabtang. The remnants of the church's abandoned half may still be seen today.
The church also includes a distinctive bell tower supported by crenelated buttresses. The monastery, which is part of the church complex, features an interesting circular stone work near the stairwell. The church was largely wrecked by an earthquake in 2000 and afterward repaired in 2001 under the tenure of Father Gumersindo Hernandez, OP.
How to get there
Rent a tricycle going to Ivana Port. The church is located right in front of the port.
Best time to visit
This religious site can be visited 24 hours a day.