The Holy Family Parish, also known as Sta. Barbara Church, was known to be erected in 1742, making it one of the oldest churches in the province of Pangasinan. The Parish of the Holy Family is situated in Santa Barbara, Pangasinan. The church is a part of the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Lingayen-Dagupan.
The Holy Family Parish has an exterior made of brick walls at the side. Inside, visitors can see the altar, which is made of stained glass.
In 1741, the Govierno General de Administracion Civil granted the petition of Dominican Father Manuel del Rio to establish the town of Tolong and build a church there. The town was established under the patronage of Sta. Barbara (de Tolong). Then, a simple chapel made of wood and cement was built. In 1742, the first parish took on baptisms, marriages, and deaths signed by Fr. Manuel Arango.
In 1743, Sta. Barbara (de Tolong) was accepted as a Dominican mission, hence, was placed under the care of a parish priest. In 1762, rebellions started and the people of Sta. Barbara went into hiding, leaving the small wooden church vulnerable and defenseless. Thus, it was set fire in 1763.
The church was gradually rebuilt. However, the roof of the church and some parts of the structure were damaged by a typhoon in October 1776. The rebuilding of the second church began. Then, from 1800 to 1814, Fr. Baltazar Calderon completed the construction of the three-foot thick walls of the church, donning a beautiful facade and two small towers.
Fast forward to 1972, during the Papal visit of Pope Paul VI in the Philippines, the parish church was granted the title of Parish of the Holy Family, owing to the legendary biography of St. Barbara.
In 2003, Rev. Fr. Layog and Fr. Ariston launched a campaign called “Guardians of the Family Campaign” for the renovation and reconstruction of the church and convent. The campaign went on to support the parishioners’ mission in beautifying the church, the convent, and its surroundings.