The Our Lady of Purification Parish is one of the oldest churches in the province of Pangasinan. The church is situated along the western coast of Pangasinan in Poblacion, Binmaley. The church faces the Lingayen Gulf between Lingayen and Dagupan City.
Our Lady of Purification Parish is managed under the Vicariate of Epiphany of Our Lord of Archdiocese of Lingayen-Dagupan.
The church was once the largest in the province during the endmost part of the 19th century. The parish was built in the 16th century but was burned down in 1745. Dr. Jose Salvador began the construction of the brick church on the left side of the original establishment in 1747 and was finished by Fr. Francisco Barroso, OP, in 1754.
The first-ever vicar in Our Lady of the Purification Parish was Fr. Tomas Gutierrez. The Dominicans assigned him, and the designation marked the first documentation of the church’s history in 1627.
Like the other affected churches in the area, the Our Lady of Purification Parish was extremely damaged during World War II, leaving only the walls and partly damaged bell tower afterward. It was later rebuilt.
The church celebrates the Feast of Our Lady of Purification every second of February.
The exterior of the church sports a rustic architectural facade, which speaks art, history, and the spiritual atmosphere of the establishment. The Baroque-style three-level church dons a semicircular arched main entrance. Inside the parish, there’s a wide circular opening in the ceiling.
The five-story bell tower has a blind semicircular arched recess with triangular segments. It can be seen on the right side of the church. There’s a big bell displayed below the tower, which bears the logo Fundacion de Metales de Santos Supangco. It is one of the three largest bells in the Philippines. It was made in 1804, weighing 4,130 lbs.