Information about St Peter & Paul Parish
Sts. Peter & Paul Parish
Sts. Peter and Paul Parish, also known as Calasiao Church, is the second oldest church in Pangasinan. In 2001, the church was named a National Cultural Treasure by the National Museum of the Philippines and the National Commission for Culture and the Arts. It is the 5th church to be announced as a National Cultural Treasure.
Sts. Peter and Paul Parish is a Baroque-style church situated in Poblacion, Calasiao, in the province of Pangasinan. It sits between Dagupan City and San Carlos City.
The old church was constructed in several stages between the 17th to 19th centuries by the Dominicans. Some parts of the old church have been rebuilt because of earthquakes. The church became Sts. Peter and Paul Parish under Fr. Juan Maldonado de San Pedro Martin as parish priest after 1621.
The old church underwent many hardships since its introduction. In 1763, the church was burned by Filipino rebel-hero, Palaris. In 1804, Calasiao built a new church donning three naves with a bell tower older than the church itself. But in 1841 to 1842, this establishment was destroyed and reconstructed once again a little later by Fr. Ramon Dalmau in 1852.
The church is famous for its well-preserved bell tower, original retablos, and complex woodworks at the back. The Calasiao Church exudes a Spanish and Latin American-style facade of bricks and cement integrated with indigenous Philippine works of art with a fusion of Southeast Asian style.
It features a Baroque design, intricately painted ceilings, an elevated dome, and a majestic carved exterior preserved for centuries. The massive bricks were designed to take on revolts and rebellions.
Despite having been damaged by an earthquake and reconstructed to conserve the establishment, the recent work does not depart from its original appearance. Presently, the church houses fully automatic bells or chimes.