Holy Parish Church, formerly known as the “Santo Rosario Church,” is situated at the heart of Angeles City in Pampanga.
The 141-year-old parish church s mostly called by locals as “Pisambang Maragul” or big city. It has been declared by the National Museum as one of the most important cultural properties.
The National Commission for Cultural and the Arts also recognized this century-old church as a national historical site.
Founded in 1877, the structure of the Holy Parish Church stood the test of time and surpassed the second World War.
The church was constructed during the Spanish colonial era from 1877 to 1896 and its foundation was first established on October 18, 1877 by the founding families of Angeles City led by Don Mariano Henson.
Filipino native were the ones who built the church via the “polo y servicio” labor system of the Spanish colonial government that forces workers to do labor for free.
The first half of the church was finished by April 14, 1896 while the second half of the Catholic site including its distinctive dome was completed on September 17, 1891.
The first mass was held in the Holy Parish Church on the same day the first half of the church was over while the twin bells run for the first time on February 12, 186.
The Holy Parish Church’s backyard previously served as the execution ground of the Spanish forces where Filipinos rebels were shot from 1896 to 1898.
The entire church was fully refined by October 1909 but its belfry was reportedly destroyed during the World War II in the 1940s.
The Philippine government subsequently restored the structure with the help of American troops and finished it in the early 1944s.
It now stands beautifully in the capitol area in front of the former city hall where the current Museo ning Angeles stands.
Visitors can also walk on the restored cobblestones roads that are a witness to the long-standing history of the church.
As the Holy Parish Church serves as Angeles City’s main religious city, local faithful often visit it for religious activities such as observation of the Lenten Season. The church is dedicated to the Most Holy Virgin of the Rosary, hence, it is also named Our Lady of the Most Holy Rosary Parish Church. It was dedicated on February 12, 1896.