The Paco Park and Cemetery in the suburb of Paco in Manila is a beautiful and peaceful location.
This rotunda church (St Pancratius) and old - fashioned gardens in the center are designed in a ring-shape –in a structure with two concentrated stone walls and a promenade on the top. The bodies of the victims of the cholera epidemic of the year were assigned to the niches in the wall of Paco Cemetery, built in the year 1820.
The cemetery includes Ramon Solano y Lladeral, a former Spanish governor general of the Philippines, and a host of the Bishops.
Three priests, the Fathers José A. Burgos, Mariano C. Gomes and Jacinto R. Zamora were buried in this park for their suspected role in the Cavite Mutiny in 1872. The priests (often called Gomburza) inspired later Philippino defenders of independence such as José Rizal, and are viewed by the Philippines as martyrs.
Dr José Rizal, the Philippines ' national hero, is also found in another corner of Paco Park. The shrine is made up of a wooden cross dated 30 December 1896 by Rizal, that is on 30 December 1896, which is the origin of the initials of his name, José P Rizal, written in reverse order, on the basis of the three letters— R P. J.
The body of the hero was taken from Bagumbayan Field (now known as the Rizal Park or Luneta) by the authorities hurriedly after Jose Rizal 's killing. His sister Narcisa looked throughout Manila in cemeteries to look at the body. She finally noticed a freshly uncovered plot of military personnel standing in the cemetery of Paco. The cemetery janitor confirmed, in fact, that her brother's body had been buried there and she arranged with him to put a plaque on the plot with the initials of her brother written on it in reverse order (R P J).
On the 17th of August, 1898 five days after the Spanish had been expelled by the Americans from the village of Manila, Jose Rizal 's relatives took out the remnant of the hero from the plot of the Cemetery of Paco and brought it to the house of Rizal 's mother, in a suburb of Manila in the village Binondo, where he remained, until the 30th of December, 1913.