The town of Santa Barbara in the province of Iloilo has an important role in Philippine History especially for the Ilonggos (locals of the Western Visayas region). It is considered to be the birth of the Philippine Revolution and where the Philippine flag was raised outside Luzon.
This revolutionary movement against the Spaniards was led by Martin Delgado where he and his army shouted the first cry of revolution in Iloilo. When the country head back then heard about what happened in Santa Barbara, he sent a Philippine flag to recognize Delgado’s movement. The flag raising ceremony in this town was the first ever flag raising outside Luzon and it marked the final launch of the revolution in Visayas and Mindanao.
To this day, the locals living in Santa Barbara continue to recognize and commemorate the historical contribution of the town through preservation of its landmarks. The beautiful Santa Barbara Victory Plaza where the declaration of the revolution happened in 1898 remains to be a venue for social government gatherings and hang out for locals during late afternoons.
In the same town plaza, a monument of General Martin Delgado was made to pay tribute to the man behind the freedom of Ilonggos. The location where the Filipino flag was first raised outside Luzon is now called the Cry of Santa Barbara Marker.
The Santa Barbara Church and Convent, served as the hospital of Filipino soldier during the war vs. Spain in the late 1800s. It is now considered to be one of the good examples of Filipino baroque renaissance colonial architecture with its yellow sandstone and neoclassic interiors. Due to its significance in Philippine history, the church was declared a National Historical Landmark in 1991, a National Museum and Philippine National Treasure in 2015.