This stone bridge was built in 1854, during the Spanish colonial period and is named after its foreman, Bonifacio Neular or Boni for short. The word Taytay is Hiligaynon meaning bridge. It has a narrow passageway, measuring about 36.4 meters long by 8.4 meters wide.
It is one of the oldest bridges in Iloilo, and can be found in Brgy. Guibongan, Miagao, in what locals call Crossing Kamatis. It is located roughly a kilometer away from the town proper, between Brgy. Igtuba and Kirayan Sur.
It was built to connect the town to Guimbal, where horse drawn carriages or carruaje was widely used as the transportation of choice of Spanish officials during that period. Before the bridge was built, it was possible to simply wade the shallow creek to cross to the town and back, but the gobernadorcillo at the time, Miguel Navales, ordered the construction of Taytay Boni to prove that he was a capable administrator, and to also win the favor of Spanish officials.
The bridge was built by local Filipinos through forced labor, and construction was commenced under the vigilant watch of the guardia civil or Spanish guard. Laborers were made to pull large stone tablets or tablea with the help of the karosa, or sleds pulled by carabaos. The heavy stones are brought in from nearby mountains of Igbaras, about 6 kilometers away from the site. The stone slabs or tablea are made of coral and lime served as a sealant to hold the tablea blocks together.
The bridge was widely used even after World War 2, but the infamous magnitude 8.2 earthquake that shook province of Many in 1948 damaged part of the structure, which loosed the stone slabs, causing a portion of the wall to crumble.
Today, the bridge has become part of a small park, with beautiful flora and fauna surrounding the area. Don’t miss the its distinct architecture, with its huge newel posts topped by pyramidion finials.