Information about Casa Real Provincial Capitol Building
During Don José Huelva y Megarejo's time, the Provincial Capitol of Batanes was originally built from wood. Also known as the Casa Real, during the period of governor Felimon Zenoreta, it was renovated to make masonries. In Batanes, he invented masonry.
But on December 15, 1856, the Casa Real was burned down. A request for financial assistance was therefore made for the reconstruction. The scheme was delayed and no fund was available. Governor Jose Serra obtained a license and started building the Casa Real and the remaining halves came from community funding. Half of the building costs were borne by the treasury.
The capital was restored after World War II, under the Philippine Rehabilitation Act of 1946, including the façade, when the stair flight was rebuilt to provide a grand entrance. Similarly, rehabilitation packaging was also received by the Provincial Capitol of Surigao del Norte. The limited space for the Capitol was expanded by the construction of the three annex buildings from August 1989 to January 1993 under the administration of Governor Telesforo F. Castillejos. President Fidel V. Ramos inaugurated the capital in March 1993.
The buildings in the capital building complex were expanded and renovated under the leadership of Governor Vicente Gato to address the provincial government's offices. In March 2007, it was revealed. The provincial capital is Basco for the annexation of the province in honor of the Spanish government Governor-General José Basco y Vargas.
How to get there
Take Diversion Road from the Basco Airport and turn left into National Road. The Provincial Capitol of Batanes is on the right side.
Best time to visit
You can visit the Provincial Capitol of Batanes any time of day.