The Provincial Capitol of Batanes was constructed originally of wood during the term of Don Jose Huelva y Megarejo (1783-1785), the province’s first governor. Also called Casa Real, it was renovated to masonry during the term of Governor Felimon Zenoreta (1794-1798). He introduced masonry in Batanes.
But the Casa Real was burnt down on December 15, 1856. So on January 27, 1857 a request for financial assistance for the reconstruction was made. There was no fund available and the plan was deferred.
Governor Jose Serra (1872-1885) obtained a permit and proceeded to build the Casa Real, half of the expenses for building was shouldered by the treasury and the other half was from community fund.
After World War II, the capitol underwent renovation by virtue of the Philippine Rehabilitation Act of 1946, including the facade when the flight of stairs was reconstructed to provide a grand entrance. Similarly, the Provincial Capitol of Surigao del Norte was also a recipient of the rehabilitation package.
During the administration of Governor Telesforo F. Castillejos (1989-1998), the limited space of the capitol was expanded by construction of the three annex buildings from August 1989 to January 1993. The capitol was inaugurated by then President Fidel V. Ramos on March 18, 1993.
Under the administration of Governor Vicente Gato (1998-2007), the capitol complex buildings were expanded and renovated to address the needed offices of the provincial government. It was unveiled on March 24, 2007.
The provincial capital is Basco, in honor of Governor General José Basco y Vargas who annexed the islands province under the control of the Spanish government.