St. Paul University of the Philippines (SPUP) is one of the 40 schools owned, managed, and operated by the Sisters of St. Paul of Chartres (SPC) in the country. The Catholic Bishops’ Conference of the Philippines through the Episcopal Commission on Culture (CBCP-ECC) appointed SPUP as a Catholic Center for Culture in 2012.
SPUP is the only university among the schools of the SPC that offers primary education to graduate school programs. The university’s official colors are green and gold, the same as all Paulnian education institution.
St. Paul University of the Philippines (SPUP) is situated in Mabini Street, Tuguegarao City, Cagayan. SPUP has a university chapel where they carry out all their religious activities.
St. Paul University of the Philippines was initially founded as Colegio de San Pablo on May 10, 1907, by six nuns of the SPC. Bishop Dennis Dougherty invited the nuns to come to the region. The university originally stood inside a Spanish convent abreast of a cathedral.
Eventually, the school changed its name to Colegio del Sagrado Corazon de Jesus in 1909, and later to Sacred Heart of Jesus Institution (SHOJI) in 1925.
During World War II in 1941, the school served as a military garrison and hospital of the Japanese forces. The school then became the first Teacher-Training Institution in Cagayan Valley, assuming the name St. Paul College of Tuguegarao in 1948. In 1965, the whole complex diminished into ashes. Despite the hardships, SPUP became the first university and catholic university in Cagayan Valley in 1982.
Due to the increasing enrollment and curricular expansion, the institution moved to the Colegio de Jacinto in 1934, which the SPC sisters obtained from the Dominican Order and where it stands to this day.
In 2014, the National Historical Commission of the Philippines (NHCP) awarded SPUP a Historical Marker as acknowledgment for its contribution in the historical evolution of Cagayan Valley in the fields of education and public service.