San Agustin Church, situated inside Intramuros walls, is the oldest church in the Philippines. The church, together with the monastery nearby, was the only structure left standing after World War II. The current structure is actually the third version of the church which survived several natural disasters through time.
When the Spaniards came to the Philippines to spread Catholicism, churches were built throughout the country, one of them being the San Agustin Church. The church was built in 1571 under the Augustinian Order. It was then constructed out of nipa and bamboo and was named Iglesia y Convento de San Pablo.
Three years later, the Chinese Pirate, Limahong, conquered Manila, leading to the burning of houses and the San Agustin Church. Because of this, the church was reconstructed in 1575 with the use of wood. Unfortunately, the new wooden church was burnt down for the second time in 1583.
The Augustinian friars, fearing another disaster, chose to use adobe stones for the building of the third church. In 1586, they consulted Juan Macias about the design and construction of the church. It was then officially completed in 1607.
San Agustin Church is located at General Luna St, Manila, Metro Manila. You can take a jeepney, taxi, tricycle, or pedicab going to the church. The area can also be easily reached by the Light Rail Transit System (LRT) and the Metro Rail Transit system (MRT).
The church can be visited anytime as it is an indoor location. It is open daily at 8 AM to 12 NN and then closes and reopens at 1 PM through 6 PM.