St. Peter Metropolitan Cathedral is a well-known, centuries-old brick cathedral in Cagayan Province. The church is also known as Tuguegarao Cathedral. It is a famous landmark in the area.
A photo of the St. Peter Metropolitan Cathedral appears at Rome Basilica. The cathedral is considered one of the most beautiful works of art in the Philippines. St. Peter Metropolitan Cathedral is situated at the St. Peter and Paul Complex, Rizal Street in Cagayan’s town proper.
The cathedral with the belfry is the biggest Spanish colonial church in the region of Cagayan. The 18-century Baroque church is a historical landmark in the country. It was constructed by the Dominican friars who came to evangelize Cagayan Valley. The structure’s development began in 1761 and ended in 1767 under the direction of Fr. Antonio Lobato, O.P..
Its first vicar, Fr. Tomas Villa, assigned St. Peter and Saint Paul as its patron saints. The structure is called a “cathedral” because it is where the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Tuguegarao is seated.
The cathedral went through massive destruction during World War II, losing its pipe organ, pulpit, choir loft, wooden ceiling, and more, which were all built from the early 18th century. It was rebuilt by Monsignor Bishop Constance Jurgens—who is now entombed inside the church— thereafter.
A historical marker narrating the brief history of the cathedral was installed in 1982 by the National Historical Institute, which is now the National Historical Commission of the Philippines.
St. Peter Metropolitan Cathedral is most notable for its broken and crested pediment exterior. This feature is widely prominent among other churches in the Cagayan Valley that it earned the title “Cagayan-style.”
The cathedral’s façade is made up of red bricks highlighted with white columns. The molded bricks represent a variety of symbols, such as gods, roosters, keys, papal tiaras, sun, moon, Marian symbols, and emblems of the Dominican order.