Embark on an off-the-beaten-path adventure in Batanes with this half-day hike to Mt. Matarem. Being the second-highest peak in Batan Island, the mountain serves as the southern counterpart of the iconic Mt. Iraya and offers an easy to moderate hike. So if you’re a hiking enthusiast who’d like to get active in the province while enjoying refreshing views, make sure to get this tour booked.
After being picked up at your accommodation in Basco, you’ll make your way to Brgy. San Vicente, roughly 13 km away from the town capital. This is where your trek up Mt. Matarem will start. Mt. Matarem is not regularly visited by travelers, but a specialized guide familiar with the area will be there to assist you and ensure your safety.
This inactive volcano stands over 470 meters above sea level and gets its name from the local term for “steep” which sums up its rugged contours and trails. While the trail features are similar, the overall steepness and hiking experience is much friendlier than hiking Mt. Iraya. You’ll pass through idyllic pasturelands lined with evergreen trees that will get you up close to local flora and fauna. The trail will also take you through woodlands with various clearings so you can enjoy sightseeing and good overlooking views from different vantage points as you hike up.
After a few hours of hiking through grasslands and forests, you’ll reach the steepest path and final stretch towards the summit. Your efforts will be rewarded once you reach the top as you will be witnessing a panoramic view of the entire Batan island from the peak. Unlike Mt. Iraya, whose peak is almost always obscured by clouds, good views are guaranteed at Mt. Matarem because of its low altitude.
Marvel at the view of Mt. Iraya the airport, the coasts of Basco and Mahatao facing the Pacific Ocean, and the sight of hedgerows and Rakuh e Payaman in the distance. You will also see the southern town of Uyugan and Ivana to the southwest. After enjoying your packed lunch at the summit, you will begin your descent.
Enjoy Batan Island from a different perspective with this half-day hike to Mt. Matarem in Batanes. Check the booking availability by choosing a date.
- All our guides speak English.
- Not all establishments accept credit or debit cards, and ATMs can be limited.
- Sustainable Ecotourism Fee (PHP 350.00) and PAMB Fee (PHP 50.00) is only applicable one time while you are here in Batanes. It will be collected by the one in charge.
- A separate PAMB permit fee (PHP 150.00) for mountain tours is mandatory to be paid.
- There is a possibility of changes on timing for the tour depending on the weather condition like rearranging your itinerary, but this will be directly coordinated by the tour coordinator who will be assigned to you once you arrive in Batanes.
- Batanes is a protected area for all landscapes and seascapes in order to preserve its natural wonders including endemic floras and faunas. Your assigned Tour Guide will brief you on the details.
- Locals are considered Indigenous People called Ivatans, respect for their culture is highly appreciated by wearing appropriate clothing when in public view.
- Sharing with us your flight details on your arrival and departure in Batanes Islands is a must so we can assist you better and orient you on the tour details.