Climb to the summit of the highest point of Batanes on this full-day guided tour of Mt. Iraya. If you’re an avid mountaineer and nature lover who want an off-the-beaten-path experience while in the province, then this package is just what you’re looking for.
After being picked up from your accommodation, you will be dropped off at the jump-off point, where you will immediately start your trek to Mt. Iraya after a short introduction of the rules and regulations you need to follow to ensure the mountain’s preservation. Mt. Iraya is actually an active volcano that towers over Basco at approximately 1,009 meters above sea level, making it very visible even from the airport albeit its peak almost always covered by clouds. Rated a moderate to difficult climb, the mountain is rarely visited by tourists. Don't worry, though, as your guide will be with you at all times.
As you trek to the top, you will pass by various trails in protected areas that are abundant with endemic flora and fauna. You will also catch a glimpse of the Basco Lighthouse and town proper. You will take on the trails that wind around the mountain. After a few hours of trekking, you will reach an area flanked with high reeds that lead to the most challenging portion of the hike. Ascend up the steep, almost vertical trail with rocks that serve as footholds and handholds for assistance.
After completing that section, you will soon reach the summit. If the weather is good, your efforts will be rewarded with a picture-perfect view of the island and Mt. Matarem on the other end. Rest and enjoy your packed lunch at the summit. After a while, you will make your way down to the jump-off point, where your vehicle awaits.
Put on your hiking shoes and prepare to scale the remote mountain of Mt. Iraya in Batanes with this guided trekking tour. Check the booking availability by choosing a date.
- All our guides speak English. For other languages, contact us for availability and rates.
- Bring cash. Not all establishments accept credit or debit cards, and ATMs can be limited.
- Sustainable Ecotourism Fee (PHP 350.00) and PAMB Fee (PHP 50.00) is only applicable one time while you are in Batanes. It will be collected by the one in charge.
- A separate PAMB fee (PHP 150.00) for mountain tours is mandatory to be paid.
- There is 3 to 4 hours trekking (climb only) included in this tour.
- There is a possibility of changes in timing for the tour depending on the weather condition like rearranging your itinerary, but this will be directly coordinated by the Tour Coordinator who will be assigned to you once you arrive in Batanes.
- Batanes is a protected area for all landscapes and seascapes in order to preserve its natural wonders including endemic floras and faunas. Your assigned tour guide will brief you on the details.
- Locals are considered indigenous people called the Ivatans. Respect for their culture is highly appreciated by wearing appropriate clothing when in public view.
- Sharing with us your flight details on your arrival and departure in Batanes Islands is a must so we can assist you better and orient you on the tour details.